Are you looking for ways to spruce up your outdoor spaces and turn it into an inspiring place for both your family and yourself? Creating a family garden is the perfect way to do that! Not only you create bonding experiences through various gardening activities, you also have the opportunity to be creative in designing your garden with its own set of handmade signs! Read on to learn more about how crafting a family garden with handmade signs can help you create a peaceful and beautiful outdoor environment!
1. Preparing Your Garden Space for Crafting
Creating Your Crafting Platform
- Choose a space. If starting a new garden specifically for crafting, make sure to adhere to any zoning and neighborhood regulations.
- Clear the area of weeds and debris. It’s important to start with a weeded clean slate.
- Lay down mosaic tiles, decorative stones, or pebbles to pave the way. Mosaic tiles come in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Hang up pre-made signs and decorative objects. Going with a theme or color scheme would add pops of eye-pleasing interest.
Making Your Own Crafted Signs
- Sketch out the intended words or shapes for the signs. Try sketching out a variety of sign designs.
- Choose from a variety of mediums such as wood, metal, and laminated paper. Heavier substances such as granite stones provide more stability.
- Paint the material with various colors.
- Let the signs sit until the paint has thoroughly dried.
- If using stencils, trace the desired designs onto the material.
- Use a drill to cut out any needed shapes. A CNC machine or jigsaw can be used for cutting out intricate shapes.
Attaching the Signs Properly
- For wooden signs, use wood glue, to attach the intials, ornaments, or other additions.
- Use metal screws for hanging the signs on the wall.
- Be sure to use the proper size screws for each material.
- For more stability, attach the screws into a wall stud.
- If not drilling directly into the wall studs, use anchors.
- Drive the screws until they are level.
2. Creating Eye-Catching Handmade Signs
- Include Relevant Information
When creating handmade signs for your family garden, make sure you include all of the necessary information: the name of your garden, the type of plants you are growing, and the level of maintenance required. A sign for a family garden should also include contact information and a mission statement about working together as a family.
- Make It Visually Intuitive
When crafting your handmade signs, think about the way in which viewers access the information. Your signs should be legible and easy-to-understand from a distance. You may also want to add visual cues, such as a picture or some type of icon, to help break up text and draw viewers’ attention.
- Design with Weather Resilience in Mind
Since your garden’s signs will be outdoors, it is important to use high-quality materials that are weather resistant. This means that you should consider the type of paint used, as well as the type of wood or other materials used, to ensure your signs won’t fade or become damaged too quickly. Additionally, it is a good idea to include a waterproof coating on your signs to protect and extend their lifespan.
3. Design Ideas to Elevate Your Garden
Make a Statement with Colorful Signs
Create your own statement pieces in the garden by making colorful, handmade signs. Have fun with bright blocks of colors that grab your attention. Make a variety of shapes to accentuate your garden. Make use of quotes, symbols, and texts to add a personal touch. This will be a unique feature in your family garden that all can appreciate.
Create and Place Sidewalk Signs
You can personalize your garden with original quotes and phrases. Make creative signs using creative shapes out of wood, or any type of materials that you can find. Place those signs near the sides of your garden paths, or even hang them around the front, like a mini-art-gallery welcome sign. Not only will it give your home an extra decorative flair, but you can also put a shared family motto or rule to the atmosphere.
Be Unique and Bold
Gardens can be the perfect spot to empower and inspire. Be sure to create signs that embody your family values and intentions. Uniquely yours and an expression of your family’s personality, a rocking quote or a funny pun can serve as a constant reminder of what really matters. Make sure to use colors that stand out, or to make use of shiny materials and lovely illustrations to make it an even more beautiful experience.
Try Something New Each Season
Creating signs can be a great way to encourage everyone in the family to get creative. Everyone can have a role in deciding what kind of signs should go up for each season. Use a different color for each season for festive vibes.
- Draw pictures with paint
- Select words that inspire
- Change out the signs periodically
Having the whole family collaborate in creating the signs adds a special touch to your garden. These handmade signs are sure to become the next conversation starter for any backyard gathering!
4. Gathering Materials For Your Handcrafted Signage
When crafting a family garden sign, gathering the right materials for your handmade signage is an important step. Here are a few materials to consider when starting your project:
- Paint:Choose an outdoor-rated paint that can withstand the elements and UV rays for a lasting time out in the garden.
- Assorted Brushes:Look for brushes with long handles and angled tips for easy control over the lettering.
- Wood:Plywood and cedar both make excellent choices for handcrafted signs.
- Stickers, Stones, and Weatherproof Finishes:Use stickers, stones, and weatherproof finishes to spruce up your signage and create a unique design.
Be sure to purchase enough supplies to complete your project. Having the right materials on hand is essential for any family garden sign!
5. Tips For Making Durable, Long Lasting Signs
1. Use Durable Materials: Select materials that can stand up against the elements. Consider using metallic and acrylic vinyls, plastic, timber and aluminum. Try to avoid materials like cardboard, as they are not suitable for outdoor use.
2. Quality Prints: If you’re using prints, make sure they are of high-quality and are protected against fading, weather and other external elements. Invest in a top-notch printer, inks and coatings, as these will greatly determine the durability and lifespan of your signs.
3. Keep It Simple: When it comes to outdoor signs, going simple is the safest option. Stick to minimalistic designs, as they can be easily readable and are easier to upkeep.
4. Watch the Weather: Keep an eye out for adverse weather conditions on the days when your signs are going up. Canvas, cloth and banners can be easily destroyed by strong winds or excessive rains, so take necessary measures to save them from any potential damages.
5. Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance is key for your handmade signs to last longer. Check for peeling, wear-and-tear, fading and other external damages on the signs routinely, and take necessary steps for fixing them.
6. Showcasing Your Personalized Garden Signs
Creating a family garden is an enjoyable way to bring everyone together. A fun way to personalize your special garden is to create handmade signs. Here are some items to get you started:
- Popsicle sticks or craft wood
- Laser cutter or a saw
- Wood burning pen
Design Your Garden Signs
When it comes to designing and crafting your garden signs, the possibilities are endless. Personalize your sign by adding a meaningful phrase, such as “Growing with Love” or a quote from your favorite book or movie. Keep it simple with your name or your family’s initials. You can even draw or paint and add the phrase of your choice on the popsicle sticks.
Choose the Wood
Wood can add a unique and rustic touch to your garden. In addition to popsicle sticks, you can use craft wood or other types of wood such as cedar or pine. If you prefer a smoother finish, you could opt for cherry, ash or walnut. If you are taking the craft route, make sure to select wood that can withstand the outdoor elements.
Etching and Painting Your Garden Signs
Once you have the wood ready, it’s time to etch or burn in the phrase of your choice. If you’re not comfortable using a wood burning pen, you can use a laser cutter to etch the design of your choice on the wood. If you don’t have access to these items, consider painting the phrase or design of your choice.
Add another touch of personality to your garden this season with variations on these handmade garden signs. Let your creativity shine, bring some fun, and have a blast crafting your own special little slice of paradise. Enjoy and happy gardening!