DIY projects are a great way to express creativity and make something special with the people we love the most. If you’re looking for a way to bring your family’s history to life, a DIY project featuring a family tree wall art is the perfect way to do it. In this article, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to create a family tree wall art in your home.
1. Introduction to Family Tree Wall Art
Family tree wall art is a great way to add a unique personal touch to your home. It can easily be made in a DIY project and can be customized with any colors, sizes, and designs. It is also a great tool for teaching children about their family history. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating your own beautiful family tree wall art:
- Card stock
- Self-adhesive stickers
- Craft paint
- Paint brushes
Step 1: Start by sketching out your family tree on the cardstock. Make sure to draw out all branches and leaves of the tree. This will ensure that you have enough room for all the names and dates of your family members.
Step 2: Once your family tree is sketched out, start adding names and dates. You can use self-adhesive stickers for this. Place them next to each branch and leaf. This will also make it easier to paint.
Step 3: The next step is to paint the tree. Choose a paint color that matches the room it will be hanging in. Paint the trunk, branches, and leaves. This will give it a more personal touch.
Step 4: Once the painting is complete, use the scissors to cut out the family tree. This will make it easier to hang. You can also add some embellishments to personalize it further.
And that’s it! You now have your own beautiful family tree wall art. You can customize it any way you’d like. Have fun creating your own unique family tree and enjoy the joys of having your own personalized artwork to commemorate your family’s history.
2. Materials Needed for DIY Family Tree Wall Art
- Wooden Board
- Green Paint (or other tree-related color)
- Clear Varnish
- A Disc Cutter or Other Tool to Cut the Shapes of the Branches
- Small Drill Bit to Make Holes for the Branches
- Liquid Nails Adhesive
Family Tree Materials
- Family Photos
- Printed Photo Labels
- Ribbons, Chords or Bakers Twine
- Mini Clothespins
- Decorative Clips (optional)
- Small Wooden Tags
To create a beautiful DIY family tree wall art, you’ll need a range of DIY materials such as a wooden board, green paint, a disc cutter, and liquid nails adhesive. You’ll also need family photos, printed photo labels, ribbons, chants, bakers twine, mini clothespins, decorative clips, and small wooden tags for the family tree. Once you have all the necessary materials, you can start creating your unique family tree.
3. Benefits of DIY Wall Art Projects
1. Affordable: DIY wall art projects can save you money. By doing it yourself, you can find materials which are both of great quality and budget friendly.
2. Personal: By creating your own wall art, you can ensure that you create something which reflects your personality and the values of your family.
3. Clutter-Free: A single wall art project can often add more detail to a room than a dozen knick knacks. The combination of family photographs with personal items such as inspirational quotes or nicknames adds a unique touch to the room without the clutter of extra pieces.
4. Collaborative: DIY wall art projects can become a great family activity. Take the time to create something together and let each family member add their own personal touch.
5. Flexible: DIY wall art can be designed to fit the ever-changing needs of your family. Have children? Create something that will grow with them as their interests, hobbies, and favorite colors change over the years.
4. Step-by-Step Guide for Creating a Family Tree Wall Art
1. Gather Supplies:
This is the first step in creating a unique family tree wall piece. Gather all the supplies you’ll need: a poster board, construction paper, a glue stick, a pencil, photographic prints, and a ruler.
Once you have your supplies, lay out the poster board and use a pencil to lightly draw the outline of a family tree. Start at the top with the current generation and draw each of the branches stemming from it. Don’t worry about details yet.
Once you have your outline complete, start adding the details. Glue on the pieces of construction paper with the glue stick and layer the photographic prints of your family members on top.
To make your family tree wall art come alive, add a few finishing touches. Use the ruler to trace thin lines to remind you of branches. For each leaf filled branch, write one word that best describes the person or family.
Your wall art is now finished and ready to hang. Choose the best spot to proudly display your homemade family tree!
5. Ideas for Displaying Family Tree Wall Art
- Vintage Photo Frames – Arrange black and white photos of family members in vintage photo frames hung in a cascading, tree-like formation. With a bit of scouring at flea markets and antique stores, it’s easy to find beautiful, vintage frames. Add some ‘twinkle lights’ and ‘snow’ (glitter) to create the visually stunning family tree wall art.
- Framed Memoirs - Collect mementos such as postcards, letters, and other memoirs from each family member and carefully frame them to create a unique wall art. Hang this wall art in a tree-like arrangement to create a special family legacy.
- Burlap and Wood Frames – Combine burlap and natural wood to create a beautiful family tree wall art. Starting from the upper portion of the wall, trace and cut out the tree design with burlap. Glue or sew family-related mementos on the burlap and add family members’ names and dates to the tree trunk made out of natural wood.
- Family Tree Tapestry – Create a custom family tree tapestry using fabric and ribbon. Use brown, beige, and silver fabric to trace the design of the tree and cut them out. Sew them onto the frame and a clean white cloth. Use ribbons of different colors to showcase the leaves of the tree. Embroider each family member’s name onto the leaves.
- Upcycling Crafting – Upcycle old books and other items to create a unique family tree wall art. Trace the tree pattern onto the book page with crayon. Cut out a silhouette of the tree and glue the tree onto a sheet of board. Add old keys, trinkets, and branches to the tree. Polish everything off with spray paint for a vintage look.
6. Final Thoughts on DIY Family Tree Wall Art
Creating a family tree wall art is a great way to express love and appreciation to your family, and it’s also an affordable and fun DIY project. By making this wall art yourself, you’re able to customize it to your liking and be as creative as you want. Here are some final thoughts to keep in mind when creating a DIY family tree wall art.
- Research: Doing some research before starting the project will help you create your wall art successfully. Take time to check out some family tree designs, colors, frames, and other ideas for inspiration.
- Prepare the Frame: Preparing your frame to accommodate the size of the wall art you want is key. Ensure your wall art’s size fits into the frame and has enough backing for support.
- Add Photos and Symbols: Embellishing the artwork with photos and symbols is always a great way to add a personal touch to it. Consider including your family’s photos or special symbols that remind you of the family.
- Hang and Enjoy; Finally, when the family tree wall art is complete, hang it proudly! Enjoy it and inspire others with the beauty and uniqueness of your DIY wall art.
These are just a few tips to follow when making family tree wall art. With a little effort, creativity, and imagination, it’s possible to create wonderful wall art that you’ll cherish for years.
Making a family tree wall art is a great way to display your family heritage and history. Plus, it’s a fun and creative project that doesn’t require any artistic ability. So go ahead and get started creating your own unique piece of family memorabilia!