If you need a fun, inexpensive way to give your kid’s room a new look, then why not consider making some DIY curtains? With some simple materials and a bit of creativity, you can create bright and stylish curtains with fun patterns that will give the room a fabulous new look. Read on to find out more about this simple DIY project.
1. Preparing to Make and Hang Kids Room Curtains
If you’re a DIY enthusiast looking to give your kid’s room an upgrade, this post is for you! Customizing kids room curtains can instantly boost the mood and energy of the room, so get ready to get creative and have fun. Shop for your curtain fabric, supplies and tools using this checklist:
- Curtain fabric: Pick a fabric with a fun pattern that your kid will love. Consider age-appropriate colors and designs.
- Curtain lining: Consider selecting blackout curtain lining to help keep out the sun and noise.
- Curtain rings: Look for curtain rings that are durable and easy to slide onto the curtain rod.
- Curtain rod: Choose a curtain rod that fits your window size and will provide plenty of room for the curtains to hang.
- Measuring tape: For accuracy, use a measuring tape to measure your windows and curtain fabric before cutting.
These supplies ensure that the finished product is finished correctly and looks great. Plus, it’ll be much easier to hang the curtains when you have the right supplies right from the start.
There are lots of great tutorials online that will guide you in cutting the fabric to make curtains. It can be intimidating to work with fabric panels, but don’t worry — with the right tools and some practice, you’ll be a semi-professional seamstress in no time.
2. Considerations before Selecting Fabrics and Designs
Fabrics and designs are just as important when it comes to DIY kid’s room curtains, as color and pattern can totally transform the look and feel of the room. Before diving into the world of fabric shopping, here are a few points to consider:
- Durability: Kids can be hard on the things in their room, so look for fabrics that are in brighter, more colourfast shades since these will be more likely to endure.
- Safety: Avoid fabrics with small parts that can be pulled off, like pom poms and beads. Also be mindful of curtain lengths - Not only do you want to have curtains that provide the desired coverage, but also ones that will remain safely away from outlets and heat sources.
- Functionality: Consider the intended use of the curtains – Watch out for fabrics that may be too thin or too thick for the purpose, as well as fabrics that may let in too much light or be too dark.
- Design: Have fun with the design – Your curtains don’t have to be plain. Choose a fun pattern or a bright color that your child will love. Stripes, polka-dots, animals prints, and solids are just some of the prints and colors you can search for.
Once you have the above points nailed down, you’ll be ready to begin the exciting adventure of finding the perfect DIY kid’s room curtains.
3. Creative Ideas for DIY Kids Room Curtains
A children’s room should have curtains that make a strong impression and leave a lasting memory for all who enter. Whether your son or daughter loves jungle animals, mermaids, or outer space, here are some ideas to bring their imagination to life and add some color and pizzazz to the windows.
1. Color Block Neutrals
- Create a stunning look with two contrasting colors for a minimalistic, chic style.
- Mix and match shades of your favorite color to provide added contrast for an eye-catching pattern.
- Create a unique pattern by alternating the light and dark shades for a classic monochromatic look.
2. Bold Prints
- Go bold with a large-scale pattern for a bright, creative atmosphere.
- Choose bright, vivid colors to make those bold prints really stand out.
- Make a statement with a chevron pattern that will draw the eye and add a fun accent to any room.
3. Stick to the Theme
- Design curtains that will perfectly complement the theme and decor of the room.
- Choose a pattern featuring the theme your child loves and add additional trims or accessories that follow.
- Bold, whimsical prints are great for turning a dull window into a focal point of the room.
No matter what pattern you choose, adding attractive curtains to your children’s room is a great way to add some visual interest and create a space they won’t forget.
4. Inspirational Tips for Pattern Cutting and Fitting
When it comes to adding a decorative touch to a child’s bedroom, there’s nothing more impactful than a customized set of curtains. They can be designed in an array of fabrics and colors, making them a great way to personalize the style of a kid’s room. Here are four :
- Select a color scheme. You can pick a combination of two to four colors for the panel or strips, in order to create a balanced look. Try to include both light and dark shades to enhance the interest.
- Choose a pattern. Stripes or polka dots are pretty timeless options when it comes to kids’ bedrooms. You could also use floral fabric for a feminine look, or prints inspired by nature for a more gender-neutral design.
- Mark the fabric. Before doing any pattern cutting with the fabric, you should measure and mark the exact areas where you will be cutting. This will help to prevent any mistakes when cutting the fabric.
- Hem the panels. A hem serves to keep the edges of the fabric from fraying. Use the same color thread to add an invisible or a decorative accent.
Create a warm and inviting atmosphere in any children’s room with a customized set of curtains. Make your own and give it an individual touch with these pattern cutting and fitting tips!
5. Enhancing Your Kids Room Curtains with Finishes and Trims
Once you have chosen the perfect pattern for your kid’s room curtains, it’s time to jazz it up with some finishes and trims. Finishes and trims will take your curtains to the next level, creating a fabulous new look to the room. Here are 5 ideas for you to make your kid’s room stand out even more with creative trims and finishes.
- Add Sequins – Sequins can add a bit of glimmer to the room and make the curtains really stand out. Whether you opt for all-over sequins, or just a few along the edges of the curtains, it will give them an extra touch of style.
- Beads - Beaded curtains are really popular right now, and can be easily made with a few strings of beads. You can either choose to tie the strings onto the top of the curtains, or use them as a pattern throughout the curtains.
- Ribbon – Ribbon is a great way to make an eye-catching design on the curtains. You can create stripes or patterns with different colors, and it will make the curtains look like a piece of art.
- Tassels - For a luxurious feel, add some tassels to the bottom of the curtains. You can choose bright colors or simple neutral tassels that tie in with the look of the rest of the room.
- Fringe – Fringe is a great way to make the curtains look more detailed and tie in the whole room. You can choose an edgy leather-look fringe for a statement piece, or a more subtle and delicate style to add more texture to the curtains.
These easy DIY ideas are an inexpensive way to make your kid’s room curtains look even more stylish and fabulous. With a few simple ideas and supplies, you can transform your kid’s room curtains into something special. Have fun and be creative with the patterns and finishes you choose.
This fun DIY project is a great way to make a big impact on a kid’s room design in a relatively short amount of time and at a reasonable cost. Plus, these cheerful and creative curtains are sure to delight your little ones, making for a room that is both stylish and fun! Brighten up your kid’s room with some colorful and unique curtains that will give them an extra special place to play and dream.