Do you want to make your kid’s bedroom look unique and special? DIY, or do-it-yourself projects, can be a great way to accomplish this. In this article, we’ll explore some easy DIY room decor ideas for kids’ bedrooms that will make the space look great while still being simple enough for kids to help with. Read on to get inspired!
1. Introducing Easy DIY Room Decor Ideas for Kids’ Bedrooms
Are you looking for some cute and creative DIY projects to liven up your kids’ bedroom? Here are some cheap and easy DIY ideas you can use to spruce up your children’s individual space:
- Personalize artwork: Draw or paint a piece of artwork that represents your child’s personality – portraits, landscapes, or abstract works of art all make wonderful contributions for a vibrant and customized space.
- Design a photo wall: Create a visual timeline of your child’s life with a photo wall. You can use framed digital images, polaroids, illustrations, or any other inspiring memories to add to the space.
- Printable wall art: Add some fun to the walls with colorful printable wall art. Customize your child’s space with pictures of their favorite characters, animals, nature images, or patterns.
- Classy trinkets: Add some character to your kids’ bedroom with decorative items such as funny wall hooks, knick-knacks, and other fun ornaments. You can also create a special shelf to display your child’s precious mementos.
- Wall decorations: Make your own wall decorations with little effort. Transform your child’s bedroom walls with custom wall decorations – paint a mural, create a 3D scene, or dress up the wall with fabric.
- Furniture facelift: Brighten up their bedroom furniture with a little imagination. You can repaint the furniture with different colors, paint shapes or patterns onto it, or even cover it with fabric.
With just a bit of effort and imagination, you can create your own unique and beautiful bedroom decor for your kids. Get creative and have fun!
2. Exploring Creative Ways to Transform Your Child’s Bedroom
1. Wall Art Projects
- Create a family mural with your child. Choose a theme, pick out the required items and start painting together!
- Let your child pick out their own wall art. Hang it up and add some vibrant colours to the bedroom!
- Reinvent old furniture or unused items into fun pieces of wall art!
2. Crafty Projects
- Create throw pillows with your child that are both functional and cost-effective.
- Upcycle old toys and games to be used as storage decoration items in the bedroom.
- Turn unused cardboard into inventive furniture pieces such as bookshelves or bulletin boards.
- Let your child go wild with paper lanterns, dreamcatchers, and paper garlands.
3. Outdoor Items to Bring Inside
- Bring nature indoors with potted plants that double as bedroom décor.
- Get back to basics by using natural materials such as twigs, stones, or wood on wall art and storage projects.
- Skip the plastic planters and use ceramic pots which can be painted or decorated with creative designs.
3. Picking the Right Pieces for DIY Room Decor Projects
One of the easiest ways to spruce up any room is through the addition of accessories. Try mixing and matching various items, such as blankets, pillows, wall art, rugs, and lamps, to give a unique feel to the space. Bring out the child’s personality in the room by picking items with bright colors or interesting patterns.
2. Wall Space
Maximizing wall space can be a great way to give a room fun aesthetic. Switch up boring walls by adding wall art in frames, or use paint, decals, and wallpapers to create a standout look. If your kid loves expressing themselves, provide them with framed paper so that they can make their own artwork.
Furniture can be a great way to make a statement in any child’s bedroom. Invest in pieces that are multifunctional to help promote a sense of organization. Shelves for books and knick knacks can help organize the clutter, and mismatched furniture can give a fun, unique feel. Look for pieces with bright colors and patterns to add an extra hint of fun.
Storage is essential in any child’s room. Getting creative with storage such as toy boxes, storage benches, and even baskets can be a great way to declutter and make the room look more vibrant. It can be helpful to incorporate storage into the décor, like wall cubby hole shelves or a wall mounted dresser. Not only will it look attractive, but it will help organize and declutter the room.
Lighting can be a key factor in any room, and it can especially make a difference in a kid’s bedroom. Try to incorporate fun lighting, like fairy lights, string lights, and even chandeliers to give the room a unique atmosphere. Be sure to find a lamp that will help them read in the evening, and look for dimmers or colored bulbs that can be adjusted to make the room cozy.
4. Utilizing Wall Art to Enliven Your Child’s Room
Enhance your child’s room and stimulate your child’s creative side with wall arts. Here are some DIY projects you can do to enliven and decorate your child’s bedroom:
- Wall Art Canvas: Create whimsical images of your kids’ favorite cartoon characters on a blank canvas. You can also try a fun painting project that you can do together with your child.
- Interactive Wall Art: Transform your child’s walls into an interesting and interactive experience with activities such as memory games or puzzles. You can also make use of chalkboards or whiteboard surfaces to create educational art.
- Wall Stickers: Introduce some fun and color to your child’s walls with colorful wall stickers and decals. You can find lots of colorful and cheerful designs of wall stickers online that your child can enjoy.
- DIY Art: Have your child help you think of ideas and create some original artworks for their wall. This can be a fun family activity while also helping your child express his/her creativity.
5. Adding Personalized Touches with DIY Room Decor Projects
1. Add Color and Accents with Artwork
One of the easiest ways to make a kid’s bedroom unique is to add some customized artwork. Have the child create colorful artwork, like a mural, that adds to the character of the room. It can be space-themed for a little boy or filled with flowers for a little girl. Or, paint one wall with chalkboard paint and give your child a spot to let their creativity and imaginations run wild.
2. Incorporate Wall Decals
Wall decals can also add vibrancy to a children’s bedroom while allowing you to update their decorations often. Wall decals are easy to apply and can be switched out as your child grows and his or her interests change.
3. Create a Homemade Headboard
Another way to add a personalized touch to a child’s bedroom is to make a headboard from items you already have at home. Repurpose a bench, dresser, bookcase, or even a pallet as a headboard and then add fabric or paint for extra flair.
4. Incorporate Furniture
Look for ways to make furniture functional and fun in a kid’s bedroom, such as these ideas:
- A dresser topped with a chalkboard to inspire a study area.
- Bookcases with bright wallpaper or fabric behind them.
- An art caddy with drawers for easy storage.
- A task lamp with bright colors for a cozy corner.
5. Add a Fun Focal Point to the Room
Add a focal point to your child’s bedroom by making a paper wall mural or a DIY version of the classic board game, Twister. You can be as creative as you want with the mural and the game, adding shapes, numbers or symbols. And, when your child gets bored with the room, simply peel off the mural or disassemble the game and create something new.
6. Utilizing Paint and Color to Bring Your Kids’ Room to Life
Are you looking for creative ways to spruce up your kids’ bedroom? Utilizing paint and color is one of the simplest and most effective DIY room decor ideas for kids’ bedrooms. Here are some of the most fun and easy projects you can do to bring life to your kids’ room.
- Paint the Walls: Give your kid’s bedroom a fresh new look with bright colors. Let your kid’s personality be your guide in choosing the colors.
- Create a Headboard: With a few simple supplies, you can create a homemade headboard for an added focal point.
- Add Washi Tape Art: This is an easy and cost-efficient way to add some fun and color to the walls.
- Add Shelves: Build shelves and paint them to match the walls for easy additions to the room.
- Create a Design on the Floor: A painted design on the floor instantly adds a stunning focal point.
- Idea Wall: Encourage your kids to express their creativity and ideas on an idea wall.
With these fun projects, you can easily bring life to your kids’ bedroom. Get creative and enjoy the process!
7. Upcycling Items for Unique DIY Room Decor Ideas
1. Fire Pit from Old Terracotta Planters
With just a few items you may already have on hand, you can create a stunning fire pit for your kids’ bedroom. Using terracotta planters, a plastic liner, stones, and a fire pit bowl, this simple upcycling project can breathe new life into your bedroom’s decor. You’ll need to:
- Gather the materials: terracotta planters, plastic liner, stones and fire pit bowl.
- Ensure the planters are positioned according to your desired shape.
- Drill drainage holes in the bottom of the plastic liner.
- Fill the planters with sand and your stones.
- Fill the fire pit bowl with sand and place it in the centre of your fire pit.
2. Wall Art from Styrofoam Plates
Give your kids’ bedroom walls a unique makeover with some upcycled wall art. Make use of colourful foam plates to create wall art with your kids’ favourite characters or quotes. The process is relatively simple. Start by arranging the foam plates (you’ll need a few for a larger art piece) and securing them with glue. Once the plates are in place, assemble the quote or fill in the character’s features with paint. Your wall art is now complete.
3. Storage Solution from Milk Crates
Milk crates are an inexpensive and convenient way to create storage options for your kids’ bedroom. All you need are a few sturdy wooden crates (an old wooden pallet works great too). Attach some caster wheels to the bottom for ease of movement, then line the boxes with fabric or felt lining. Make sure to attach handles for easy carrying. You can choose to customize the look with scrapbook paper or a spray paint of your choice. You now have a modern and stylish storage solution for your kids’ bedroom.
4. Space Garland from Cardboard
Create a whimsical garland to make your kids’ bedroom decor pop. Start by cutting out the shapes of stars and planets from cardboard. Use the same template for all the objects and use paint in varying colours to customise the shapes. Once the shapes are dry, attach each element to a length of string using some glue. Hang the garland above the bed for a cheerful addition to your kids’ bedroom decoration.
8. Crafting Inexpensive Storage Solutions for Kids’ Bedrooms
Kids’ bedrooms can quickly become overrun with toys, clothes and other belongings. Instead of packing up and storing things away, why not make your own storage solutions? Below are some fun and easy DIY room decor projects you can make to keep bedrooms organized.
1. Repurposed Box Storage
- Gather empty shoe boxes, tissue boxes, and other cardboard boxes.
- Cover the boxes with wrapping paper or contact paper.
- Decorate the boxes with stickers, drawings, or markers.
- Fill the boxes with toys, books, or small items.
2. Magazine Boxes
- Collect two magazines.
- Cut off their spines.
- Place one magazine over the other to create a box.
- Cover the box with a fabric or wrapping paper.
- Tape shut or staple the edges to seal the box.
3. Tension Rod Shelving
- Install a tension rod in the closets of kids’ bedrooms.
- Hang small baskets from the rod to store socks, underwear, and other small items.
- String bungee cords between the rod and the wall for an instant shoe rack.
4. Wall Shelves
- Purchase inexpensive wood shelves from a home improvement store.
- Paint the shelves in bright colors.
- Secure the shelves to the wall.
- Use the shelves to store action figures, toys, and other prized possessions.
9. Recommended Tools and Materials for DIY Room Decor Projects
1. Glue Gun – Glue guns are one of the essential tools used for DIY room decor projects and can easily be found at a local hardware store. A glue gun is essential for affixing decorations or crafting items to the walls and ceilings in your kids’ bedrooms.
2. Scissors – Scissors are another essential tool for crafting. Having a pair of sharp scissors is key for cutting out paper decorations or fabrics for making decorations. You can also use scissors for trimming the edges to make neat lines or patterns.
3. Posterboard – Posterboard makes an excellent material for crafting since it’s affordable and comes in a variety of colors. It’s perfect for making wall decorations like a world map, mural or sunburst pattern designs.
4. Wall Decals – Wall decals are a great way to easily add fun color and patterns to kids’ bedrooms without needing to be an expert painter or having to worry about making a mess. Wall decals come in a variety of shapes, designs and colors so you can easily find one that matches your decor.
5. Fabric – Fabric is a great option for DIY room decor projects because it’s affordable and comes in a variety of colors and textures. You can use fabric to create wall hangings, curtains, pillows and more. It’s also perfect for adding some cozy vibes to a room.
6. Paint – Paint is an excellent way to quickly and easily spruce up a room, and there are tons of colors and textures to choose from. If your kids’ bedrooms need some refreshment, a few cans of paint is all you need to get started.
7. Stickers – Stickers are an easy and affordable way to add some fun to a room. You can use stickers to make patterns on walls or furniture, or simply just add a pop of color. There are endless possibilities when it comes to sticker use, so have some fun!
10. Final Thoughts on DIY Room Decor Ideas for Kids’ Bedrooms
- Choose vibrant colors: Choosing vibrant paint colors to decorate a child’s bedroom can bring a great deal of life and energy to the room. Color can affect mood and create exciting contrast while giving the room personality.
- Use wall art: Consider opting for fun and creative wall art that expresses your child’s interests and personality. The options are endless when it comes to wall murals, wall decals, and paintings.
- Rearrange the furniture: Rearranging furniture is a great way to give any room a fresh, new look. Let your child’s imagination guide you as they come up with a variety of creative ways to arrange the furniture.
- Hang shelves: Floating shelves are an excellent way to showcase trophies, books, or any other decorations your child may have. They also can turn almost any surface into a place to hold a few items that will brighten up the room.
- Create an imaginary world: Add some texture to the walls by using wallpapers, stencils, and fabrics. Wallpapers come in all kinds of designs and color schemes. Using stencils you can create an imaginary world that your child can get lost in.
- Add curtains: Curtains can add a soft touch and add privacy when needed. You can find curtains in many different colors, sizes and styles.
- Make a statement: Add a cute lampshade or light decals to make a statement and lighten up a dark corner of the room.
- Add a soft rug: Soft rugs are a great way to make the room warm and inviting. They can be used to liven up a space, provide texture, and bring the room together.
DIY room decor ideas for kids’ bedrooms are a great way to get creative and add some personality and style to the room. From vibrant colors to wall art, rearranging furniture, and hanging shelves, these projects don’t have to be complicated. With some creativity and imagination, your child can create a unique space that’s all their own. Additionally, you can use wallpapers, stencils, and fabrics to create an imaginary world and add curtains, lamps, and rugs to make the room warm and inviting. With these DIY room decor ideas, you and your child will be able to create a bedroom that’s truly special and unique. You don’t need an interior designer – or a hefty budget – to design a kids’ bedroom that’s both fun and practical. With these tried-and-trusted DIY Room Decor Ideas for Kids’ Bedrooms, you can make sure that your children have a space that’s as creative and unique as they are. Get crafty, get inspired and let the decorating begin!