Adding a splash of color to your living space can be a great way to freshen up your home and put your own personal touch on the décor. One of the best family craft projects you can create for your home is DIY decorative throw pillows. It’s a fun and creative activity to do together, and you end up with some beautiful handmade accents for your living room or bedroom. Read on to find out how to make custom, decorative throw pillows!
1. Introduction to
Freshen up your living room with decorative throw pillows. They are the perfect way to show your family and friends the amount of love and creativity you have put into making one-of-a-kind home décor. Famliy craft projects like this one are an excellent way to spend some quality time with your kids and help them develop a love for arts and crafts. Here’s what you need to get started:
- Fabric of your choice
- Pillow stuffing
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or upholstery needle
- Threads of your chosen color
- Pen or pencil
Once you have all the materials on hand, it is time to start making the pillow covers. Begin by measuring the width and height of the pillow form and then cut two pieces of fabric the same size as the pillow form. Layer the pieces so that the right sides of fabric are facing each other and use a pen or pencil to draw a straight line around the edges of the fabric. Then sew the two pieces together along the line you drew. You may want to use a sewing machine or a upholstery needle to complete the task.
Once the ends are secure, turn the whole thing inside out so that the right sides are facing out. Fill the pillow with the desired amount of stuffing and use the opening near the end of the cover to close it. Finally, sew the edges shut with threads similar to the color of the fabric.
2. Materials and Tools Needed for Decorative Throw Pillows
1. Basic Sewing Supplies: Before getting started, you’ll need a few essential supplies in the sewing room. Get your hands on a good quality sewing machine, a few yards of fabric in the colors and patterns of your choice, matching thread, upholstery pins, tailor’s chalk, and scissors.
2. Optional Supplies: If you are looking for something more elaborate and that stands out, consider purchasing a few additional supplies. These include bias tape binding, needle and thread, paint or fabric markers, ribbon, lace, and decorative items such as buttons, beads, or patches.
3. Other Materials:
- Cotton batting
- Pillow stuffing
- Heavy fabric for back part of pillow
- Iron and ironing board
4. Specialty Tools: Specialty tools and gadgets are available to make the job easier. These include a pattern marker, an adjustable ruler, a seam ripper, a tweezers, and a zipper foot. Depending on the amount of detail involved in the pillow you create, these are not always needed but can be helpful when working with intricate details and designs.
3. Step-by-Step Process of Crafting Decorative Throw Pillows
1. Gather Your Supplies: To craft your decorative throw pillows, you’ll first need to gather your materials. This includes pillow stuffing, fabric in your desired pattern or color, and thread to match. Additionally, you’ll want to have a sharp pair of scissors, pins, a sewing needle, and a pen.
2. Cut and Pin the Fabric: Then, take your fabric and fold it in half so that it is doubled-over. Cut the fabric to the size you would like your pillow to be. Pin the fabric together with the right sides facing each other.
3. Sew the Pillow Together: Next, sew the pillow together by hand. Leave about a half-inch seam at the edge and stitch across. snip off the excess thread from the ends of your seams.
4. Turn the PillowRight-Side Out: Gently reach inside the pillowcase and pull backward, turning the fabric the right-side out. Gently clip along the seam with your scissors, so that the edges are flush with the pillowcase.
5. Stuff and Close the Pillow:
Now, begin to stuff the pillow with your desired filling and arrange the filling evenly throughout. Once filled to your desired satisfaction, use your hand-stitching to close the pillowcase.
6. Iron and Display: To finish your new decorative throw pillow, use an iron to press the seams and edges and maintain a polished look. Display the finished pillow in your desired space to give your room a fun, personalized touch.
4. Styling Tips for Family-Made Throw Pillows
- Choose the Right Color Scheme: When selecting fabric for the throw pillows that you and your family will make together, be sure to pick a color scheme that makes sense for the room. Make sure that the colors blend well and don’t conflict or clash.
- Mix Up the Textures: Variety in texture can make your throw pillows stand out and give them some visual interest. Try using materials such as corduroy and velvet for a unique and eye-catching look.
- Tie It All Together: Finish off the look by using ribbon or rickrack to tie it all together. This will add another layer of texture to the pillows and make them look more put together.
- Accentuate with Embellishments: Make the throw pillows even more unique by adding beads, sequins, or other embellishments for a personal touch. Your family will be amazed by how creative you can be in putting together these decorative pillows.
- Accessorize: You don’t need to stop at the pillows. Get creative and use pieces you may already have in the house to accessorize and add an extra layer of character. This could include baskets, vases, trinkets, and more.
Remember, when it comes to family craft projects like these throw pillows, just have fun with it. Try different techniques and don’t be afraid to get creative. With some effort and a little bit of help from your family, you can create some truly beautiful pieces.
5. Ideas for Customizing Throw Pillows
1. Fabric Paint: Get creative with some fabric paint and a canvas cushion! Choose from a variety of colors and textures to design decorative patterns and geometric shapes. Add bright colors to the pillow for a modern look or earthy shades to bring a classic vibe.
2. Mosaic Pillows: Repurpose corner pieces of old tiles or pottery shards and create a unique mosaic pillow! You can play around with interesting patterns and color combinations to customize your own one-of-a-kind pillow. Place the mosaic pieces onto a fabric cushion in different arrangements for an outdoorsy feel.
3. Buttons: Collect a variety of buttons from your local craft store and make your own customized throw pillow! Find buttons of different shapes, colors, and sizes to make stripes, polka dots, or other patterns. You can decorate the entire pillow with buttons for a bold look or strategically arrange them in diagonal lines for a chic effect.
4. Hand Embroidery: Embroider a pretty garden of flowers or birds using a selection of thread colors onto the fabric of your cushion. You can either create a large design in the center or keep the pillow simple with small embroidered stitches on the corners.
5. Applique: Layer a fabric of your choice onto the pillow and then use fabric glue or a sewing machine to attach it. Applique shapes, like stars, hearts, and circles, that will stand out or pick a fabric that has a pattern or artwork already on it.
6. Conclusion: Adding Comfort and Style to Your Home with Family Craft
are an easy and inexpensive way to add style and comfort to your home. Not only do they look great, but they are also a fantastic way to make a statement while showing off your individual taste and style. Here are a few of the best ways to incorporate throw pillows into your home décor:
- Choose a Complementary Color Scheme: Choose colors and patterns that will match or complement the color scheme of the room in which the pillows will be placed. This will make any room look cleaner and more cohesive.
- Mix and Match Pillow Shapes: Use different shapes and sizes to give your room more texture. Pillows come in a ton of different shapes like squares, rectangles, circles, or even triangles.
- Play Around with Design: Try to mix up the patterns and colors of your pillows to create a unique look. This is a great way to show off your personality and add a DIY touch to any room.
Decorative Throw Pillows are a great way to add comfort and style to any room in your home. With just a little creativity and a little extra effort, you can create a look that is sure to have everyone asking where you got your pillows from.
These decorative throw pillows are a great way to inject a bit of personality into a room. With a few crafts stores supplies, and some simple instructions, crafting decorative throw pillows for the whole family to enjoy has never been easier or more rewarding. So grab your supplies and get ready to make some fun and affordable family crafts your home will love!